Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gus Gives Thanks!

About 3 weeks ago I noticed that my dog Gus just wasn't acting right.  He seemed depressed (I wasn't initially concerned about that because November was so close...).  He wasn't eating, and he was allowing people other than me to touch him.  (This was a sure sign that Gus might be dying!)  I looked at his gums and they were as white as a piece of paper.  I was panicked.  I rushed Gus to the vet where he started an IV line and ran some bloodwork.  It was discovered that Gus had Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia.  We worked with Gus for several days and he just wasn't getting any better.  I was so upset, and I honestly thought that Gus was going to die.  Then it was suggested that we try a little chemotherapy, and Gus bounced back in a typical dachshund fashion!  He is now doing great!  His PCV was 39.6 last week, which is nearly double what is was when we went in initially.  He is eating enough food for six dachshunds, and the cats are once again running for their lives!  Gus would like to thank Dr. Eric Eisenberg, Dr. Kelley Young, and the staff at Stonyridge Veterinary Service for his exceptional vet care.  I would like to thank them too!  If it wasn't for the great care that Gus received, there is no doubt in my mind that he would have died.  Gus would also like to apologize to Peggy, his vet tech, for biting her on her birthday.  He is truly sorry for that behaviour.....  


Thanks for saving my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment